Getting there and away
You will need to book your flight to Antalya airport in Turkey. Flights are available from many UK airports. (You can, incidentally, fly into Dalaman airport but you will looking at an appx 3.5hr transfer to Azur villa). The websites of companies I have listed below are in order of personal preference:
- www.flythomascook.com : the fact that you can fly from several major UK airports all year round, and with the flexibility on your return in the style of Ryan air or Easyjet, makes this website a winner.
- www.easyjet.com : flights from Gatwick to Antalya
- www.ba.com : British Airways operate regular direct flights from Gatwick to Antalya. You'll be surprised how good the prices are.
- www.flypgs.com : Fly Pegasus fly from Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester to Antalya during the summer months only. Very attractive prices.
- www.flightsavers.co.uk : this website is the best one I have found for charter flights with the major tour operators such as MyTravel Airways, First Choice Airways and Thomson. Your best bet if the above websites do not work out.
(Please note that British nationals have to pay a £10 visa fee per person upon arrival on Turkish soil, payable in sterling cash)
Getting from Antalya airport to Azur villa
Expect the drive from Antalya airport to Azur villa to take 2-2 ½hrs. Below I have listed three viable transport options:
1. Airport transfer
We can arrange for someone to drive you to Azur villa and back to Antalya airport. The driver will meet you at arrivals with a poster showing the lead passenger's name in your group. Prices vary according to the number of people and are for a one-way transfer:
Max 3 people = €100 (car)
Max 7 people = €150 (mini-van)
2. Rent a car at Antalya airport and drive yourself
The major car hire companies operate from Antalya airport and it is a straightforward procedure to book directly through them. For better prices, try www.auto-europe.co.uk. They are a well-established and reliable company who always seem to come up with excellent deals. Be aware, however, that you will probably be arriving after dark, the drive is quite a long one and, once in Demre, you will need detailed instructions from Gino to find Azur villa. Click here for general driving directions, though it is recommended you buy a good road map or at least print out the map in the photo gallery.
3. Airport transfer plus car hire with driver
Does 1 and 2 still not cater for your needs? The well-established and reliable Andifli car rental company, based in nearby Kas town, can not only rent you a car, but also provide a driver to accompany you from Antalya airport to Azur villa and back. Address your enquiry to Ahmet (owner) and state you will be going to Gino's house in Demre - they know where it is.
Once you get to Azur villa, the driver will leave you the car until it is time to fly home, whereupon he will accompany you back to Antalya. Just add £30 each way for petrol onto the cost of the car rental. Remember this system is only suitable for up to 3 adults or, at a push, 2 adults and 2 young children, using a standard vehicle.
For four or more people, Andifli can arrange to have the car waiting at Azur villa for you. Just add the cost of two transfers as advertised on their website (appx €100 for a one-way transfer to/from Antalya airport).